Okay so we knew that leaving Oak Hill would be hard for various reasons, one of the most noteworthy reasons being giving up so many lovely neighbours. Little did we know what God would have in store in our new neighbourhood.
Unfortunately, there are not loads of little kids running around (although we are trying to change this by getting friends to move in!). However, we have been blessed by having Bernie as a next door neighbour. Bernie is a retired man with two golden retriever puppies. His wife still works so he spends much of his time outside with his pups...and my kids - especially Jack. Jack loves to go out and chat with Bernie. He has told Bernie everything he knows about the Revolutionary War (which anyone who knows Jack will know is a lot!). Jack was using a stick as an imaginary rifle - Bernie added some duct tape and string to the stick making a home made sling for the stick. We were all impressed.
But today Bernie really outdid himself. Bernie called Charles over to his garage. We all assumed that he needed help moving something. Well, this wasn't the case. Bernie wanted to show Charles what he had made for Jack before giving it to him - in other words to get our approval. Then Bernie came out with a handmade wooden rifle. It is absolutely amazing. Jack was ecstatic about it and has played non-stop with it the rest of the day. Bernie was very creative and used various old things he had to make the rifle (i.e. old broom stick, old woven belt). We were really touched by his generosity. We couldn't ask for a better neighbor!
Bernie, Jack, and the rifle
Jack with his rifle:

6 comments:
What a thoughtful neighbor. I am sure there was fun in the making of it and there will be fun for a long time playing with it.
I like the beautiful woman in the background.
That is so very sweet. Love a good neighbor!
Very creative!
Nick and I both loved reading this and we are delighted you have a lovely neighbour. I also liked seeing little snippets of your house in this and your previous post. When you have a moment, would love to see some pictures so when I think about you I can imagine you in your context. I am also just being very nosy. Also, your car. I have realised that so many of my memories of your family are tied to your car. The daily rhythms of life which involved you guys getting in and out of it on your way to/from preschool etc. X
Also spotted your bi-cultural spelling choices. X
Post a Comment