Saturday, 15 November 2008

An Opinion

One of Jack's favourite activities is to go to the library. We try to go about every other week. In fact, he often gets really sad when we tell him that we have to give some of the books back. He will often request that we ask the librarian if we can keep at least one book. After I ask the librarian and she gives her approval for us to check the book out again Jack acts as though the lady has just given us a million dollars. He gets so excited exclaiming - We can. We can. The lady says we can take it again!

Well last time we were at the library, I noticed that the library was having a story telling time of Charlie and Lola books which are some of Jack's new favourites. So I signed us up. I really talked this story time up to Jack. It was definitely the most anticipated event of the day. I even decided to make it extra special and memorable by taking the bus to it. When the time came, we loaded up the stroller and headed off for the bus stop in a pretty steady drizzle. Jack got so excited when he spotted bus number 307 headed our way. We loaded the bus and were off to the library.

Well, you might be anticipating this, but the story time did not meet my high expectations. Jack was the youngest kid there. Most of the kids there were about 5 (although the sign advertised the story time for all ages) and not very well behaved. Jack lasted through a couple of stories and then got up and loudly told me he was ready to go home. I whispered to him that we couldn't go home yet that we needed to wait until the end - hoping to teach him manners (not to mention the fact that I would have been embarrassed to get up in the middle and walk out). Jack did decently well the rest of the time. At the end we exited and on the way out I asked Jack, did you like it? Did you have a good time? To which Jack looked up and said - No, Not really.

It was one of the first times I liked the fact that Jack was saying NO. I loved the fact that he had an opinion. He was right. It wasn't that great. This was partially due to the kids interrupting the story teller at least twice each page, but mostly because Jack wasn't the right age. We will have to try story time again in a couple of years, but until then we will keep riding bus 307 because that was the big win of the day.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

That's too bad about the storytime! Hopefully, it will get better in the future. Tell Jack that his Aunt Rebekah will be happy to have storytime for him when he visits.

Mama Julie said...

One of my favorite things to do is read aloud to kids. I will read to him when he's at my house. When reading is done well and an appropriate story is chosen, most kids will be mesmerized by the story----I guess I am blaming the storyteller for the bad manners of the children at story time. I'm not good at allowing children to misbehave during a story.