Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Another take on an English tradition

Mrs. Thumb Up went to work today, and since we're on inter-semester break (marking [grading for you Americans] time for faculty and supposedly reading time for the students), I was home with the kids.

While getting Addie dressed this morning, the boys started playing with her teapot and tea cups. The music from the teapot reminded me of a childhood song, so I started singing 'I'm a Little Teapot'. I did it the proper way the first time through, complete with actions for handles and spout and all. But then I sang it again as my father used to do it. 'I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle (cue one hand on hip), and here is my . . . (other hand on hip) Whoops! I'm a sugar bowl'.

Well, the boys thought this was hilarious. They begged for me to do it again. Jack asked me how I had thought of that, and I told him that it was from Papa, that's how he sang it when I was a kid. Jack thought for a moment. 'Yeah, I can see that Papa would like that'. So young and yet already he's gotten the full measure of his grandfather.

Wait til I tell him my dad's joke about the first green pea in 10 years.

Here are our renditions of Papa's version of the song:




5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Yeah! Another family tradition has been passed along! Tell Jack that his Aunt Rebekah still laughs when Papa does the song. :-)

I hope Erin's first day back went well.

David said...

The boys do a wonderful rendition of an old favorite. Obviously they have inherited a certain offbeat sense of humor. Hopefully Papa won’t be detained at the border on the next visit for editing English traditions.

Charles Anderson said...

How funny that Papa finally becomes a follower on the blog once there's a whole post dedicated to him. Could this become a new strategy for Mrs. Thumb Up to increase readership?

Mama Julie said...

I like the two-handles-no spout tradition. Does he have one for the Itsy Bitsy Spider?

Monette said...

Be careful, be very careful...he has one for lots of traditions!

I LOVE all the teapots, oops, sugarbowls. :D