Thursday, 20 June 2013

Theo and Baseball

Jack had a baseball game the whole family was able to attend last night. It was a great game and provided us with two blogable incidents . . . both from Theo!

Incident #1-
It was really hot, and sadly I didn't come prepared as I wished I had. Quickly deciding that we needed water, Charles headed to the concession stand with Theo and Addie. He bought two waters and handed them to each of the kids. Theo opened his, and then in a very mature tone said, 'Ah, this is so refreshing.'

Hilarious, coming out of the mouth of a four-year-old.

Incident #2-
Apparently one of Jack's teammates was upset at one point. I was back a bit, but my friend Christina was near the dugout. Theo was very taken with Jack's crying teammate. He asked Christina, "Why is that kid crying?" She answered that she didn't know. He then asked her again, which prompted her to tell Theo that we should probably give the kid some space. At this point, Theo looked at Christina and said (drum roll) . . .  "Doesn't he know there's no crying in baseball? At least that is what Tom Hanks says."

The famous line by Tom Hanks from the movie, A League of Their Own has become a family favorite. We quote this line in many situations, not just baseball. For example, Charles might tell one of the kids, "Hey don't you know there is no crying in breakfast?" This comment would of course distract the kids enough that their 'crying' would stop. So in this case, Theo was eager to know why this kid wasn't following Tom Hanks's advice.


Another memory of this season will be how many friends Theo has made on our baseball team. Seriously, every time I turn around he is making a new friend; often another mom who he is talking to about his favorite action figures, or the perennial favorite are the older brothers (of whom he believes he is equal to). Here is a picture of Theo with his buds Nick and Matthew, who, in Theo's words, play for the 'unprofessional Cubs'. Not surprisingly, based on his admiration for these older boys,  the professional Cubs have now become Theo's favorite team. He even rooted for them last night when they were playing the Cardinals. Sigh. He asked Charles when he could get a Cubs t-shirt. There's one of in every family, right????



2 comments:

Mama julie said...

Cubs??? That not very refreshing:) I think I may start crying even though there is no crying in baseball. Funny little boy.

KLL said...

maybe theo knows that we live in chicago, and that's why he feels comfortable saying he roots for the cubs???