I have never wanted to be a boasting mother, but I have to admit that Jack has a special talent. He has this unbelievable ability to spot a McDonalds. This kid sees the golden arches sign through trees, thick fog, as we fly by on a train, through really any circumstance. He starts yelling E-I-E-I-O whenever he sees one (which is because he associates McDonalds with the children’s song Old MacDonald’s Farm). Charles and I just shake our head in amazement most of the time – one because often we didn’t see it and two because we have become so accustomed to seeing McDonalds that they don’t make quite the impression on us as they do on our two-year-old son.
Why is this? At what age does McDonalds lose the ability to provoke this emotion? Does McDonalds become less good tasting or do we become more jaded and set our culinary threshold on higher sites? Wouldn’t it be great if the £1 ice cream sundae or $1 box of French fries still called forth this child-like joy and anticipation inside us?
Being good Americans, our family unabashedly loves a dinner out at McDonalds (in fact I was given the choice between McDonalds or Pizza Hut for mothering Sunday this year, and Pizza Hut only barely won out – and that was because I viewed it as a special occasion, okay and because of the ice cream factory!). Charles and I haven’t lost all of our excitement on the prospects of going to McDonalds. We still gear up for the occasion. I think I can learn from Jack’s special talent. I have to admit I wish I enjoyed little pleasures in life more like Jack did – I think I would probably be a happier person overall (maybe slightly chubbier too!). What other every day things have I been missing out on? What other things would I benefit from having a child-like perspective on? Are some of these emotions moving towards what Jesus meant when he talked about a child-like faith? Things to ponder for me, would love your thoughts too!
2 comments:
Erin, you are so right! We get caught on the business of life and take for granted not only little things like a fun meal, but - even worse - the things that are eternal...
Love,
Ana
Write on or right on---both apply. We should never get too old or too busy to enjoy a meal at MacDonald or to watch a ladybug crawl across the path.
Post a Comment