I had one of those sweet parenting moments on Saturday. Charles was away at an all day conference in the city. I was sitting on our bed when I observed Jack looking in the mirror at himself very intently. I asked him what he was doing:
Jack: I am just looking at myself - wishing I had darker hair.
Erin: You have very pretty hair. Why do you want it to be darker?
Jack (a little embarrassed and very earnest): Because I want to be like Daddy.
Erin: Oh that is really sweet Jack.
Jack: Yeah, I want to have glasses too so I can be like him.
As a matter of humour, I did tell him that mommy had lighter hair but he wasn't that interested.
I am recording this story because I am sure there will be many times in the upcoming years where Jack will struggle to think he ever want to be like his Dad. And likewise, as parents I imagine there will be days where we will find it hard to believe that our challenging teenager was once a little five-year-old who aspired to be like his daddy. Hopefully this story will be hope and comic relief at the same time. We pray that God-willing, as Jack matures he will indeed want to emulate some of his parent's traits and that by God's grace we might show traits worth emulating.
3 comments:
Very sweet and inspiring, Erin!
That is a sweet story. I think Jack's aspirations are worthy.
Very well said. Your last statement is one we all pray as parents.
Post a Comment