Earlier today I heard Jack up in his room really working on something. This is not that rare of instance so I just enjoyed the peace and went about my business downstairs. A few minutes later Jack came down and asked me if we had any envelopes. I told him yes and where to find them. A few minutes later still and I heard Jack go out the front door and then heard the noise of some post slipping through our door slot. I went to the door and collected the envelope (which had obviously been posted through by Jack). This is what I saw, an envelope addressed to 'Erin' with the following letter inside:
Basically Jack had acted as though he was my mom Julie or 'Jooly' and had written me a letter (if you double click the picture you can see the lettering more clearly).
He then asked me how the spelling was. I told him I thought it was very good, but there were a few places that he had misspelled a word. I pointed those out and then he proceeded to go upstairs and rewrite a new letter doing his best to correct the misspellings on the second one. This perfectionist tendency is a trait he definitely gets from Charles - I don't have itt (but I do have a sense of humor)!
He then brought the new version down and asked which one I liked better. I told him that I liked the first one best because it was the first one I had received and I really enjoyed the creativity he had put into it, but I then praised him for wanting to get better and try to improve his spelling. He seemed content with that answer.
From a mother's perspective, I will never throw away the first letter - it is now in my keepsake box with others of my favourite letters.

4 comments:
What a creative little boy! I am so glad you blogged this. I think Jooly makes just as much sense as Julie.
Getting a letter in the post is always fun. I wish my letters traveled as quickly as Jack's did!
Jack, you are so sweet to send your mom a letter! What a great idea!
What a wonderful treasure!
Post a Comment