As Charles is away in America visiting his family, we have looked for 'activities' for each day. I have been aware that almost all of our kids are on the verge of needing new shoes so I decided this would be a good week to go shoe shopping.
As such, we took off down the long hill to our favourite shoe shop and shoe lady - Marie. I so love having her. She is the first shoe lady I know that will turn you away if your kid's shoes still fit or if she doesn't have anything that fits them properly.
I prepped the kids that it could be possible that not everyone would get shoes. I made it clear that we would not be buying shoes just to buy shoes but that if they had outgrown their shoes then we could look and see if Marie had any in stock that would fit them properly. They all seemed satisfied with this.
Theo went first and as expected he had outgrown his last pair (which were bought in August of last year!). I told Marie that we needed a pair that were incredibly easy to do up himself . The last pair had proved difficult with one of the straps coming out of the loop-hole quite easily. (Ed Note: Theo has made huge strides in dressing himself as well as putting his shoes on which is a goal we set before this baby was born - he doesn't know that though!).
Marie came back with two pairs - one red and one blue. Theo seemed really keen on the red pair. After consulting with Marie and getting her advice that they both fit equally well, and there was only a £2 difference in the two pairs, I decided that he could make the decision. I was sure he was going to go with the red pair when all of a sudden he said very decisively, 'I want the blue pair'. I was a little shocked and asked why he had changed his mind. He very quickly said that the English wear red and Americans wear blue. This all comes from the Liberty's Kids dvds on the American Revolutionary War that he and Jack are obsessed with. I know Theo well enough to know that the decision was done and blue it was going to be!
Next up was Jack. His last pair of shoes were bought in October. Marie measured him and said that he was still okay in his old pair. She told us to come back in 6-8 weeks. Jack was a real champ and didn't get upset at all which was nice to see!
Last was Addie. She was so chuffed with getting to try on different shoes. It was hysterical. She is such a little girl in the way she loves shoes and clothes. We found her a very cute little red pair. She has been walking around in them since showing them to anyone who will look.
Three cheers for new shoes, Marie, and Jack who showed great maturity!
Here are pictures of the new shoes:
And then I asked where is Mom (in an attempt to get them both looking at the camera):


3 comments:
Hurray for new shoes! I hope Theo doesn't give Addie trouble for wearing unamerican colored shoes.
The new shoe owners look very happy with their choices, not to mention extremely cute. Yeah Jack for being a trooper. Wish I could see the new shoes in person, but mostly the new shoe OWNERS and the old shoe OWNER!
Addie's red shoes remind of your red shoes! :) And I had never heard the word 'chuffed' until reading your post...another new British English word to add to my list!
Post a Comment