I still remember the first time I communicated with Susie. I was given her email from a mutual acquaintance. I wrote to welcome her and also inquire about pre-school lift sharing and whether she would be interested. I remember saying something like, 'I hope you don't think that I am too forward or too American in writing'. After Susie met me, she only came to know that I am forward, and I am American. Both things I hope she came to appreciate.
Our friendship started around our oldest sons. They arrived with their nearly four-year-old Josiah, two-year-old Miriam, and newborn Keziah. Their son is three months older than Jack, and they immediately clicked. I remember telling Charles that they were the first house that I let Jack go and spend time where I didn't know the parents that well. It was a bit weird, but I immediately trusted them. And in time, the friendship became family-wide (even including grandparents) not just around these little boys.
In fact, they were kind enough to invite us to join them up at Rory's parents home up in Yorkshire. We were able to go twice and got to know Rory's parents quite well. We have lots of affection for both Anne and Malise and will miss seeing them when we return to the US. Both of these trips were real highlights to our family. The kids absolutely love the farm and getting to play on the hay bales, the tractor, and down by the river.
We also got to know Susie's parents well as they came to look after the kids here at College multiple times. It was always fun to see Elizabeth and have a conversation out in the orchard with her. Elizabeth will always hold a special place in our lives as we will forever remember her as the woman who found Theo! Once again, they were kind enough to invite us to accompany them to the Trooping of the Colour and in the midst of the big crowds we temporarily lost Theo (see previous post). My parents have also been fortunate enough to meet Rory and Susie the various times they have visited. My mom immediately liked Susie because she always offered her a cup of tea out in the orchard. This was especially thoughtful given that my mom was standing out in the cold watching her grandsons directly after Addie was born.
One of the things about the Grahams is how incredibly thoughtful they are. The Saturday before they left they organised a family treasure hunt for both of our families which had a very creative and meaningful twist. (blog entry to follow). And then there was the present they gave Jack right before leaving. For three years, Jos has run around the Orchard with a fabric handmade English flag that Susie had made him. Both Jack and Theo have been quite envious of this flag for years now. Well, yesterday morning Jos presented Jack with the following
Susie had spent who knows how long making Jack this American flag so that he too can run around the Orchard now with a flag. Jos even did quality control and counted to ensure that there were thirteen stripes and fifty stars - not bad knowledge for an English little boy! We were very touched, and now the only debate is whether Jack gets to run around the Orchard with it or whether it is too nice for that and we should frame it (my idea).
We will really miss the Grahams. Seeing them leave College is slightly easier knowing that we will be leaving shortly as well. One thing is definitely for sure though: our family has been made better from knowing them.
The church in Hove where Rory and Susie are moving is in for a treat. We just hope that they give them a good chunk of holiday and airline tickets to America for their Christmas present! :)
Here are some pictures of the boys playing with the flags later. I said to Jack that they were re-enacting the Revolutionary War. To which he responded, 'No Mom it was the War of 1812, because the US didn't have the Stars and Stripes in the Revolutionary War.' Once again corrected by my son.



3 comments:
Ah, yes, I remember getting a lovely cup of tea from Susie while watching the boys in the orchard.
This brought tears to my eyes. They are, indeed, special people. I expect that Jack and Jos's war was the most lovingly friendly war ever fought. Susie would be real competition for Betsey Ross.
I pray both the Grahams and the Andersons will be able to (as the song says) "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." May you both be blessed with an abundance of this kind of gold and silver in your lives. (And a big "yea!" for good phone and Internet plans!) :D
Post a Comment