Sunday, 14 June 2009

Fletcher

There was a picture on Jack's peg at pre-school when I picked him up on Friday. I quickly took the picture, loaded Jack and Theo in the car and headed home. Jack has never been into art so I didn't really even look at the picture initially. It was only when I got home and both boys were in bed that I noticed that it was a drawing of a body and then underneath the pre-school helper had written 'Fletcher'. When Jack got up from his nap we had the following conversation:

ERIN: Who is Fletcher? (I didn't even have the picture with me.)
JACK (with a huge grin on his face): I am. I am Fletcher.
ERIN: What? Who calls you Fletcher?
JACK: Grace and my other friends at pre-school. They call me Fletcher or Fletch. (Note: Grace is a good friend, but she doesn't even go to pre-school on the same day as Jack.)
ERIN: Why?
JACK: Because I like it. I told them to call me Fletcher.
ERIN: Do you want me to call you Fletcher?
JACK: No, you are my mommy. You can call me whatever you like.

We know no one named Fletcher. I think it's kind of a cute name, but I have no idea where it came from. I am sure it is a passing thing, but I am holding onto the picture just in case Jack turns into a famous artist and uses Fletcher as his pseudonym. His first self-portrait! Little did I know!

3 comments:

Mama Julie said...

If you were T.V. buffs, I would say he had watched some detective story---Fletch sounds like someone in a trench coat who solves impossible crimes. Since Grace doesn't go to his preschool, perhaps Grace is a pseudonym used by one of his classmates. Or maybe he is like his grandfather and can't remember names so he just calls all sweet young things "Grace." I love mysteries and this definitely is one.

Karen said...

How puzzling! I wonder if he wants other people to call him Fletcher? I would be happy to oblige. :)

The Egan Family said...

We are pretty certain that Jack is going to be a famous musician when he grows up, so this could be a great name for him or for his band. (Or a great preacher, in which case it could be a good illustration...)